Quite possibly the hardest part about eating gluten-free is trying to find the perfect gluten-free bread that suits your needs, preferences, and budget. Something we can never stress enough is that all people with celiac disease should only buy GF certified products. The equivalent to 1/100th of a slice of wheat bread can damage the small intestine, and though artisanal products might be prepared with naturally gluten-free ingredients, the control of cross-contamination throughout the process is the hardest part! Below, we have compared the top selling products from Schar, Europe’s No.1 in gluten-free. We have worked with Schar for years now and really like the convenience of their products:
- Sliced breads are ready to eat, while rolls are best when baked for 5 to 10 minutes;
- All closed packets can be stored at room temperature for few weeks as modified atmosphere is used to naturally preserve the products.
Do you like sourdough, healthy seeds and whole grains? That’s your list!
There was a time gluten-free bread meant highly refined rice flours and starch, loads of preservatives and almost no fiber or proteins. Today, there are enough good options to please the healthy conscious ones:
- Use of sourdough and / or healthy seeds: sunflower, linseed, millet;
- Use of healthy ancient cereals: quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum;
- Wholegrain / high fiber content from psyilium;
- Lactose and egg-free;
- No palm oil;
- No preservatives.
What is different about sourdough?
Sourdough is the result of a natural fermentation process that occurs when flour is mixed with water. Sufficient resting time at room temperature leads to the spontaneous formation of lactic acid and yeast bacteria that make the dough right for baking, while also bringing some major health benefits:
- It creates a delicious bread, with a soft inside and crunchy crust that keeps fresh naturally.
- It is more digestible, as the good bacteria in the dough break down the complex carbohydrates into digestible parts and facilitate the absorption of minerals.
- Sourdough works like yeast, this means a lower quantity of artificial yeast is needed.
|Our top picks||Pan
|No palm oil||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
Nutritional values per 100g of product. *May contain traces of soya.
Do you enjoy soft, white bread?
The new Pan Blanco is soft inside and crispy outside, the thick loaves are perfect for everyday sandwiches or straight from the toaster. Pan Blanco is prepared without palm oil and with extra vegetable fiber added to the recipe. For a healthy twist, try also the new Pan Muligrano, a white sliced bread enriched with crunchy linseed and sunflower seeds. If you are looking for a white sliced bread with a more complex flavor and extra nutritional benefits, you’ll love Meisterbacker White, prepared with a mix of quinoa and millet and using natural sourdough to obtain a highly digestible, soft bread. Sourdough Mini Baguette and Baguette are both great options for a sub or a delicious bread basket to accompany your meals, while Ciabattine rolls are great for an Italian twist.
Looking for something different?
Focaccia (pronounced “fo-KA-cha”) is a type of Italian yeast bread baked in flat sheet pans. The dough is flavored with olive oil and sometimes topped with herbs and other vegetables. Delicious straight from the oven or filled with cheese, turkey ham or grilled vegetables! Schar wraps are high in proteins and fiber and they are a great option for a quick bite before or after your workout. Unlike all other breads from Schar, wraps are also yeast-free.
Did you know we a have a clearance section? We update offers daily, with discounts up to 75% on all our range of gluten-free, vegan and organic foods.